Hello again, blog.
As you may have noticed, I’ve been away for a while. It’s true. I left you.
For this (green chili cheeseburger at Perea’s):
And this (chile rellenos and enchiladas at Padilla’s):
And this (green chili stew at Maria’s):
And a WHOLE lot of this (IPAs at La Cumbre Brewing):
Needless to say, New Mexico was quite a marathon. ABQ eats are certainly friendly going down, but they’re not so friendly afterwards. After 14 straight days of drinking and irregular eating habits, it’s time to normalize. Back to a world where people don’t consider melted cheese a food group and tortillas a vegetable.
Luckily today I came across this little bugger to the right from Harvard (a non-bureaucratic smart person attempt at the food pyramid known as the Healthy Eating Plate) to remind me that even through there’s still a whole basket full of Christmas candy and a dump trucks worth of nuts n’ bolts at home, it’s time to start actually using my brain when it comes to what I’m putting in my body.
To kick things off strong, I started with a meal that could cleanse the bowels of a two ton rhino — Raw Beet Soup with Sauerkraut Shitake Seitan Hash:
Raw Beet Soup with Sauerkraut Shitake Seitan Hash
- 2 whole red beets, unpeeled
- 1 carrot, unpeeled
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/4 white or yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- juice of 1/2 lemon (with seeds)
- vegetable stock/broth as needed
- dill (fresh, preferably, or dried) to taste
- fennel seeds to taste
- agave nectar (or honey) to taste
- dash apple cider vinegar
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- VITAMIX, BLENDTEC, OR OTHER HIGHPOWER BLENDER ESSENTIAL!
- lacto-fermented sauerkraut (good, simple recipe here – my recipe will follow, sometime)
- handful of mushrooms
- seitan (omit for gluten free version)
- To make soup, put everything in the blender and BLEND. Seriously. That’s it. But blend for long time. Like 4 minutes. Adjust seasonings/add stock/broth as needed to achieve desired texture.
- To make hash, chop all ingredients thinly and mix.
- Pile hash, pour soup, serve with water-thinned greek yogurt (if not vegan), cashew cream (if vegan), or nothing (if lazy).
- CLEANSE AWAY!