The key to a great day is a great breakfast. Seriously, what better time to make sure you’re well on your way to a satisfied daily quota of fruits, vegetables and fiber than first thing in the morning?
Here’s how I get an easy, vegan and (almost) raw start that makes me feel great no matter what the rest of the day brings:
Grab a pint-sized ball jar (or comparable reused jar). Best way to transport food hands down.
Assemble the mixable components:
- Something green (e.g. kale, collards, spinach, beet greens, etc)
- Something sweet (e.g. 1/2 an apple, pear, or orange, etc)
- Something smooth (e.g. 1/2 a banana, a scoop of nonfat yogurt, etc)
- Something spicy (e.g. cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cardamom, a pitted date, etc)
- Something serous (e.g. a heavy splash of almond or soy milk, orange juice, water, etc)
- Something berry unexpected (I always try to throw something of color into the mix, be it 1/2 a carrot, a handful of frozen blueberries, and/or a couple grapes — whatever is on hand!)
- Optionally, something strapping (basically protein powder, if you so wish)
Next, summon the high-power blender gods by lighting incense and chanting “Vitaman” while spinning three times in front of your refrigerator.
Keep that going for a minute or two, and assemble the dry:
- 1 tbs psyllium husks (an amazing supplement that packs a huge insoluble fiber punch, lowers bad cholesterol levels and sops up liquid, making your smoothie into a yummy porridge :))
- 1/2 tbs oat bran
- sprinkle of flax seed
- 1/2 cup high-fiber, low-sugar dry cereal (I prefer a combo of puffed kamut and Kashi Go Lean)
Add the psyllium husks, oat bran and flax seed to the bottom of your jar. Package the dry cereal in a separate small container or baggie to maintain the crunch-factor for assembly time.
Pour the veggie mixture over the psyllium in your jar and make sure to give ‘er a good shake to get those psyllium husks mixed in and absorbin’!
Pour that sucker out into a bowl, top with the crunchy dry cereal and damn will you be power-packed to take on the rest of your day. Guaranteed to keep you greened and regular – just the way I like it.
Not to mention, it turns out to be a different color very time! Make it a game and have your co-workers guess what each day will bring: Green?! Red?! Putrid brown?! What fun!